Sattvic diet stands on consuming raw, whole and nutritious foods and snacking on something nutritious yet tasty is a good way to quieten your rumbling stomach and satisfy your sweet tooth. Try this easy energy balls recipe which is great as a snack or a dessert.
Nutty Energy Balls
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup oat flakes
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup almonds
- ¼ cup of honey
- 1 tbsp of grounded flax seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup of almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
How to prepare
- Add walnut and almonds into a food processor and blend till they form a coarse powder.
- To this powder add dates, oat flakes, honey, flax seeds, almond butter, and vanilla extract, blend till all come together.
- Take some of the powder in your hand and roll it into a golf-sized ball.
- Roll the balls in the coconut powder.
- Drop them into a zip lock bag and freeze them so they become firm.
Oats are a powerhouse of minerals and vitamins that can satisfy your dietary requirements. It also contains carbohydrates that can boost your energy levels.
Both walnuts and flax seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which are essential fatty acids that can support a healthy body and mind. They are also rich in fibre, minerals and vitamins.
Flax seeds are a good source of high-quality protein that furnishes the body withamino acids - that help in body building. Walnuts are rich in antioxidants that help fight against free radicals that accumulate in the body throughout the day.
Dates are famous for their iron content but have a lot more to offer. They are highly nutritious and rich in antioxidants and fibre that can support healthy digestion and bowel movement.
If nuts are not your favourite or you have allergies, you can always swap them with hemp seeds or sunflower seeds which are also loaded with -3 fatty acids. Incorporating other dry fruits such as raisins or dried strawberries is also a good idea as these dried fruits also possess a good amount of vitamins and minerals. Nut butter can also be exchanged with healthy oils such as virgin coconut oil.