A salad bowl is the best way to keep those hunger pangs in check. Try out this protein-packed salad which guarantees small bursts of sweetness in every bite.
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups of water
- ¾ cup of pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup of grated cottage cheese
- ½ cup of spinach
- 2 tbsp of shelled almonds
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ tbsp of raw cane sugar/ brown sugar
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
How to prepare?
- Add quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and cook over medium flame. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer. Let it cook for 15 minutes till the quinoa absorbs
- Drain excess water and let it cool for 5
- In a salad bowl add cooked quinoa, pomegranate seeds, cottage cheese, spinach, almonds, olive oil, sugar, cinnamon and toss it around till it mixed
- Enjoy your salad as a meal or a snack, you can also store them for the next day.
Quinoa: is a pseudo cereal that functions both as cereal and grain. It has high fiber and protein content which places it on the lower side of the glycemic index. Food holding a glycemic index of 55 and below are the preferred ingredients for weight watchers as this food will not cause a dramatic increase in glycemic levels after meals and also leave you feeling full. Quinoa has a glycemic index of 53 which makes it an amazing ingredient to add to your daily diet. Since Quinoa is plant-based it is a popular ingredient in a sattvic diet () as well. Quinoa is also a powerhouse of antioxidants that protect our body from oxidative stress.
Pomegranate: These tiny but mighty seeds are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins (B, C, K) and minerals (phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron).
Spinach; green leafy vegetables are a rich source of all vitamins (A, B6, K) and minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium) – the darker the richer. Spinach contains high amounts of vitamin A, with one-cup serving providing a whopping 56 percent of your recommended daily intake. It also has good amounts of iron and folate.
Cottage cheese: derived from milk but with only the goodness of protein, cottage cheese is also an excellent source of calcium that plays a major role in tooth and bone health.