Nothing leaves the body warm and full like a nutritious bowl of soup. Soups are the best way to incorporate healthy foods into your diet, especially if you are on an Ayurvedic cleanse. The whole cooking process softens up the ingredients which make it easy to digest.
Here’s a red lentil vegetable soup you could enjoy for lunch or dinner on its own or along with a small portion of rice or roti.
Red lentil vegetable soup
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2-inch of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 cup of diced vegetables (like carrots or sweet potato)
- ½ tsp of salt
How to prepare?
Soak the red lentils in water and keep them overnight.
- Warm ghee in a small pan over a medium flame, to this add cumin, coriander and mustard Saute till the seeds start to pop.
- Now add garlic and ginger to the pan, saute till they are slightly brown.
- Next, add turmeric powder and salt, give it a good mix- this is the spice mixture
- Drain the red lentils and put them in a large pot along with 3 cups of water. Bring the lentils to boil over a medium flame and then reduce the flame to simmer. Cook for around 10 minutes, till they are tender.
- Now add vegetables and the spice mixture, cook for another 10 (if you choose to use a pressure cooker, add the washed lentils with 3 cups of water, along with the diced vegetables and the spice mixture to the cooker. Once the pressure reaches a high, place the weight and cook for 8-10 minutes)
- Once the lentils and vegetables are cooked, add more water till the desired consistency is reached.
- Stir the soup well and place it in a bowl, garnish with coriander leaves and a dash of lemon. (optional)
Red lentils: also known as masoor dal is packed with nutrients that possess various benefits;
- Red lentils are low in calories but high in fibre, which means even without consuming a large portion these lentils can satisfy your hunger. This high glycemic index ingredient can be a boon for weight watchers.
- They contain a lot of fibre which supports healthy digestion, which makes it a great ingredient to add to your meals during a cleanse.
- Red lentils are rich in soluble fibre, folate and are also loaded with minerals such as potassium and magnesium.
- Red lentils are a warehouse of phytonutrients which act as antioxidants, together with vitamin B and minerals like iron and zinc that help bolster the immune.