Hey there, fellow food enthusiasts! Today, let's dive into the world of wholesome and hearty breakfasts with a delightful recipe for Vegetable Upma. Not only is this dish a burst of flavors, but it's also a nutritional powerhouse that will kickstart your day on a healthy note.
- Semolina (Rava/Sooji): Packed with energy-boosting carbohydrates, semolina is an excellent source of vitamin B and iron. It provides a sustained release of energy, keeping you fueled throughout the morning.
- Assorted Vegetables (carrots, peas, bell peppers, etc.): Each vegetable adds its unique set of vitamins and minerals. Carrots offer beta-carotene for eye health, peas bring in protein and fiber, and bell peppers contribute antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Mustard Seeds and Urad Dal (Black Gram): These ingredients not only add a distinct flavor but also provide a dose of healthy fats and protein. Mustard seeds are rich in selenium and omega-3 fatty acids, while black gram is an excellent source of iron and magnesium.
- Curry Leaves: Packed with antioxidants, curry leaves aid in digestion and are a great source of iron. They add a fragrant touch to the dish.
- Green Chilies: Spice up your Upma with green chilies. These little powerhouses contain capsaicin, known for its metabolism-boosting properties.
- Ginger: Not only does ginger add a zing to the dish, but it also boasts anti-inflammatory and digestive benefits.
- Cashews: These crunchy delights not only enhance the texture but also provide healthy fats and protein.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter): A moderate amount of ghee adds richness to the Upma and brings in healthy fats and fat-soluble vitamins.
- Semolina (Rava/Sooji): 1 cup
- Assorted Vegetables (carrots, peas, bell peppers, etc.): 1 cup, finely chopped
- Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal (Black Gram): 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves: 8-10 leaves
- Green Chilies: 2, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1 teaspoon, grated
- Cashews: 2 tablespoons
- Ghee (Clarified Butter): 2 tablespoons
- Water: 2.5 cups
- Salt: To taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: For garnish
- Heat a pan and roast 1 cup of semolina until it turns golden brown. Set it aside.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee and add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon of urad dal, curry leaves, green chilies, and grated ginger. Saute until the mustard seeds pop.
- Add 1 cup of assorted vegetables and cook until they are tender.
- Pour in the roasted semolina and mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Add 2.5 cups of water gradually while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Let it cook until the Upma reaches the desired consistency.
- In a separate pan, roast 2 tablespoons of cashews until golden and add them to the Upma.
- Season with salt to taste, garnish with fresh coriander leaves, and serve hot!
Enjoy the delicious and nutritious vegetable Upma!